1886 Roanoke River Lighthouse
The Roanoke River Lighthouse sits in its permanent location overlooking Edenton Bay. The lighthouse was originally located on screw-pilings in the Albemarle Sound marking the entrance to the Roanoke River near Plymouth.
The lighthouse, is believed to be the last extant example in the United States of a squarer frame building built for a screw-pile base. The lighthouse was in commission from 1887 until 1941.
The plans are underway for restoration completion on the inside and furnished as it would have been used during its commission as a navigational aid. Once complete, the lighthouse will be open for daily tours.
To learn more about the lighthouse, go to its website: edentonlighthouse.org
Click here to read the cover story in Lighthouse Digest about the relocation.
Edenton's Roanoke River Lighthouse Moved Offshore
WRAL's Tar Heel Traveler series profiles the Roanoke River lighthouse move on May 1, 2012.
Roanoke River Lighthouse Restoration
Professionally produced by visitnc.com, this video shows early restoration work being done on the lighthouse when it first arrived in Edenton.